How to setup OpenVPN on Mac OSX
To setup OpenVPN on your mac, you will need to download and install Tunnelblick, and then load a configuration file for each VPN connection that you want to setup. This should take 5 to 10 minutes to complete.
1) Open up a browser, and navigate to https://tunnelblick.net/downloads.html
2) Download the latest ‘stable’ build for the version of OSX that you are running (you can check the version by right clicking the apple icon in the top left hand corner of your screen, and selecting about this Mac)
3) Double click on the tunnelblick_xxxx_build_xxxx.dmg that you just downloaded file to start the installation. Double click the ‘tunnelblick’ icon in the next box, and click OPEN on the pop-up dialogue box.
4) At this point you may be prompted to enter a password. This is the password that you use to unlock you Mac.
5) Click through the next 3 default answers
You should now have tunnelblick installed, and be able to see the icon in your toolbar.
Install the OpenVPN config files.
Repeat the next steps for each VPN that you want to setup (we’re using USA as an example).
5) Download the VanishedVPN OpenVPN config file from here for the Server that you want (i.e. usa.ovpn for the USA VPN to watch US Netflix)
6) Double click on the downloaded file (it should be in your ‘downloads’ folder). This should open up Tunnelblick. Choose either ‘All users’ or ‘only me’ from the next screen (depending on if you share your machine, and want to give other users access to the VPN).
You will be asked to enter your password again. This is the password that you use for unlocking your Mac.
You should now see a message saying ‘installation successful’
You are now ready to connect to the VPN.
Move your mouse over the tunnelblick icon in your tool bar. You should see a box appear with the name of the VPN server that you downloaded the config for.
Click ‘connect’. A box will appear asking you for your username and password. Copy and paste your VPN credentials. Check the boxes ‘save in keychain’ to save having to enter these again.
You should see the connection box display some connectivity messages, and it will then go green when connected.
You should now be connected. To test the connectivity, check to see if you’re able to access content from the location that you are connected to (for example if you’re connected to the USA, you should see the US catalogue when you go to netflix.com).
If the VPN doesn’t connect, left click on the tunnelblick icon, and choose ‘VPN details’ where you can check the config, credentials, and setup automatic start at login etc.
Documents and support for Tunnelblick can be found here.
https://tunnelblick.net/documents.htmlTo disconnect, left click the Tunnelblick icon, and select ‘disconnect’ .